Suitable for year round travel | Spectacular in autumn and spring | Grade 3 – Intermediate
This five day escape traverses the Raukumara Ranges via the Nga Haerenga, New Zealand Cycle Trail, Motu Trails and Rere Falls Trail. Stunning scenery, and nature abound on this remote journey. The tour takes you over 175 kilometres of quiet rural roads towards Tairāwhiti Gisborne. There are many spectacular waterfalls such as Motu Falls, Champagne Falls (guided excursions only), Rere Rockslide and Falls on route. Eastwoodhill Arboretum, the National Arboretum of New Zealand is a highlight, as are some of Tairāwhiti Gisborne’s finest wineries. The tour is slow paced to enjoy the cycling and walking opportunities along the way.
Tour available supported or for independent travel.
- One of the great rides of Nga Haerenga, The New Zealand Cycle Trail, including the Dunes Trail and Motu Road Trail (both Motu Trails) and Rere Falls Trail.
- Spectacular coastal views.
- The majestic Motu Falls.
- Rere Rockslide, where you can slide down a 60m-long natural slope (free of charge but you need something to slide on and will do so at your own risk, or you can just watch others).
- Rere Falls, one of the most charming waterfalls in New Zealand, surrounded by farmland located on the Wharekopae River. A perfect picnic spot.
- Overnight stay at Eastwoodhill Arboretum, the National Arboretum of New Zealand. This attraction offers 135 hectares of stunning exotic and native trees, fantastic walking routes and vistas.
- A guided jeep tour, the best way to enjoy the Arboretum.
- Fine Tairāwhiti Gisborne wineries and brewery.