Suitable for year round travel | Spectacular in autumn and spring | Grade 3 – Intermediate
This four day escape combines nature, food and wine starting at Motu village and travelling over 120 kilometers of quiet rural roads towards Gisborne. The tour takes you via Motu Falls, Motu, Matawai, Champagne Falls (guided excursions only), Rere Rockslide and Falls, Eastwoodhill Arboretum, the National Arboretum of New Zealand, and some of Gisborne’s finest wineries.
Tours available guided, supported or for independent travel
- A very scenic rural Heartland Ride which is part of The New Zealand Cycle Trail (Nga Haerenga).
- The majestic Motu Falls and Whinray Scenic Reserve
- Rere Rockslide, where you can slide down a 60m-long natural slope (free of charge but you need something to slide on and will do so at your own risk, or you can just watch others).
- Rere Falls, one of the most charming waterfalls in New Zealand, surrounded by farmland located on the Wharekopae River. A perfect picnic spot.
- Overnight stay at Eastwoodhill Arboretum, the National Arboretum of New Zealand. This attraction offers, 135 hectares of stunning exotic and native trees, fantastic walking routes and vistas.
- A guided jeep tour, the best way to enjoy the Arboretum.
- Fine Gisborne wineries and brewery.